Re: Ending/reducing bytecode compilation, loosening dependencies

> About a month ago Steve Langasek and I discussed the state of Python
> packages on IRC, in particular the effects of bytecode compilation; the
> effectiveness (or lack thereof) of it, and how it tightens Python
> dependencies. I'd like to propose three changes to how Python modules
> are handled.

I have a couple of questions.

Do you intend this proposal to apply to Python libraries, or Python
applications, or both?

I'm thinking that many applications (especially ones like EoC) would be
built for just a single version of Python anyway.  In this case, why
would it matter whether we have pre-compiled bytecode around?

What would you suggest doing about "hybrid" packages which are primarily
applications, but also want to make their modules available to other
Python programs?  Two examples here are pychecker and epydoc (both
maintained by me).  Right now, for those packages, I stick the .py, .pyc
and .pyo files in site-python, compile the modules for the default
version of Python, and then live with the inefficiency of recompiling
them for non-default Python versions and/or the possibility that root
will recompile them for the wrong version.  This isn't a great solution,
but it works.  However, some folks don't seem to like this solution very
much, and I've definitely gotten some pushback about the structure of
these packages.

Finally, what do you suggest doing with packages that contain both
pure-Python modules and C extensions?  It seems that any package which
contains a C extension is necessarily tied to a specific version of
Python, and so might as well have pre-compiled modules.  You didn't seem
to address this in your proposal, but maybe that's because you're
assuming that current policy is appropriate.

Thanks,

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>