Re: [Distutils] Egg support for system packages (including bdist_wininst)

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Setuptools in SVN now provides preliminary support for installing eggs in
> .egg-info directory style, so that setuptools-based projects can be wrapped
> by system packagers who wish to avoid using .egg files or directories.  In
> addition, you can now use setuptools to install non-setuptools packages in
> such a way that an .egg-info directory is included, so that
> setuptools-based packages can detect the presence of the
> non-setuptools-based package.

Thanks for adding this.

I'd just wish that this would be the default and the .egg ZIP
file installation approach be made an option.

setuptools would then finally be compatible to the rest of the
distutils world again and avoid all the added overhead and
problems of ZIP file imports.

Perhaps you could have two commands, e.g. the default install
would create the normal package directory (with added .egg-info
dir) and a new install_eggfile to install the .egg ZIP file
instead.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 22 2005)