Re: Python .egg support in Debian

Bob Tanner wrote:
Is there an agreement amongst the interested debian-python
developers/packagers that Debian must support .egg's?

Answering the -IF- will let us move forward to the HOW.

Terminology is really critical here. Eggs are a certain structure
of information: a meta-data system along with library routines
and command line utilities to access them. I agree Debian
should support them.

.eggs are a specific distribution format for Eggs: zipfiles
with included meta-data. Terminology is unclear here: it
*also* is another distribution format: directory ending
in .egg, with the metadata as files inside the directory.
I do *not* agree that Debian should support those.

There is yet another form distribution format for Eggs:
egg-infos. This is what I think Debian should support.

Regards,
Martin