Re: [Distutils] [Bulk] Re: formencode as .egg in Debian ??

At 10:28 AM 11/25/2005 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
Actually, I'm increasingly tempted to PEP the idea of a
name-version.pkg-info file being installed alongside the code as a standard
Python distutils feature.  This discussion has made it clearer (even to
me!) how useful such a thing would be, and if it became a standard part of
the distutils, it would simply become part of Debian and every other system
packager unless explicitly removed.

Also, it just occurred to me that this would ultimately fix one of Paul Moore's complaints about eggs as well. If bdist_wininst included this .pkg-info, then even Windows "managed" packages would be supported in this scheme, and setuptools could include a bdist_wininst that made similar .exe's to wrap eggs.

(Of course, the full solution for Paul's issue wouldn't arrive until Python 2.5 in that case, unless the people doing the .exe packaging are using some special tool to add the .pkg-info to non-setuptools .exe's.)