Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 13:04 +0100, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:
> Alle 12:34, venerdì 25 novembre 2005, Paul Moore ha scritto:
> > On 11/25/05, Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:
[...]
> Please read
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-November/005520.html
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-November/005521.html
>
> Can my proposal resolve the "suckiness".
[...]

Some of it, yes. In any case, I think it is worthwhile "fixing" eggs so
that they consider an installed deb as an egg... this way non-deb eggs
installed in /home/ or /usr/local can leverage of already installed debs
managed by the Debian Package manager.

The phrase "run-time dependency checking" in the first post disturbs me
in a not-really-related-to-this-discussion way. It feels wrong; surely
dependency checking should be done at install time?

Perhaps my perspective is distorted by Debian's excellent install-time
dependency checking...

The only reasons I can see to do run-time dependency checking is to
continue to operate in a degraded mode when an optional dependency is
not available.

I hope like hell egg's don't do run-time dependency installation... that
would be really bad. Installing is a privileged operation. Running is
not.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/