Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 10:29:56AM +0000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 01:33 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> [... long informative explanation of egg...]
> In particular, will an egg wrapped inside a Debian package magically
> install other bits of software not from Debian packages? Will it install
> them in the correct places?

This is a dangerous practice from ore than one point of view:

1) it may pollute the system with non-DFSG-compliant stuff

2) as a both python developer and debian user and developer I DO NOT want
software to download and run stuff without my knowledge and explicit consent

> It sounds like egg's provide python specific package management focused
> on development. All that "automatically pull in all the eggs of versions
> **I** want" allows developers to specify bleeding edge dependencies and
> not have to worry about dependencies of other things on the system.

And in the long run this leads to many disasters.

> Debian packages are more focused on stabilising for distribution
> releases. It encourages/forces you to agree on particular versions of
> everything for the whole system in a very controlled manner.
>
> I think they a both important. If I was using eggs, I'm not sure I'd
> want them to be packaged as anything other than an egg until I was ready
> to release, and then I'd want it **not** packaged as an egg, as a "proof
> of it's release readiness".
>
> It's perhaps unfortunate that egg's bundle package management with
> generic meta-data management. I know that package management uses
> meta-data, but if it was implemented as one wrapped around the other,
> you could "peel the package management layer off", leaving the metadata
> management there, and you could produce clean deb's using only Debian
> package management, but with the egg meta-data management still in
> place.
>
> If you ever want to install stuff that is not in a Debian package, it
> should be installed outside of the package-managed directories. On
> Debian, this usually means anywhere in /home or /usr/local.  I'd be
> installing eggs in /usr/local until they were ready to be packaged as a
> proper Debian package.

but according to FHS /usr/local is a no-no for a package management to touch
--
mors ab alto
0x46399138