Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

At 10:39 AM 11/24/2005 +1100, David Arnold wrote:
But I was hoping that I could help clarify the point of view of a Debian
user, by pointing out that there's at least some part of the Debian user
community that won't like installing .egg applications unless they're
sanely converted to .debs

Certainly. There have been Debian users asking for this on the TurboGears mailing list from day 1, so I'm familiar with the viewpoint, and believe it's entirely rational. (The FAQ response for this is to install the eggs in /usr/local, or else use easy_deb to wrap the eggs in .debs, but I guess this started because somebody felt that there should be official .debs for TurboGears and its dependencies as well.)

I just got the impression that you were saying that *any* use of eggs would be tantamount to CPAN-style chaos, which isn't true even in a non-packaged environment, since the architecture is basically that of Stow. (That is, install every version of every thing in its own directory, and then either find what you need at runtime or update pointers to the active versions.)