Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

On 11/23/05, Phillip J. Eby <pje@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 11:53 AM 11/23/2005 +1100, David Arnold wrote:
> >-->"Phillip" == Phillip J Eby <pje@telecommunity.com> writes:
> >
> >   Phillip> This is a major advantage over developers who do not do this,
> >   Phillip> not only in developer effectivness, but also because a
> >   Phillip> developer who depends exclusively on a specific packaging
> >   Phillip> system will not have the same effective reach for their
> >   Phillip> offering, or conversely will require a greater investment of
> >   Phillip> effort to support various packaging systems.
> >
> ><coming to this a little late>
> >
> >So, this would seem to imply that installation of eggs is similar to
> >using PEAR or CPAN?
>
> Not at the level I think you mean.  Apart from the .pth file, and any
> scripts, each egg has its *own*, 100% encapsulated file or directory, for
> example, which is quite different from at least CPAN.  (I don't know
> anything about PEAR.)

Interesting. I would say that *something* in the
easy_install/egg/setuptools area feels *exactly* like CPAN to me.
Where I would like to use my system's standard packaging solution (I'm
on Windows, so I mean the Windows Add/Remove Programs control panel
applet here, as supported by bdist_wininst or more recently
bdist_msi), I am being required to use a different mechanism.

Like David, I don't like anything other than the "official" (ie,
Windows installers in my case) mechanisms having access to the Python
installation directory.

If there was a way of building a Windows installer that installed
packages in "egg" form, so I didn't have to use setup.py at all when
installing, just double-click on the installer, that would suit me.
This feels like what the Debian people want with their .deb format as
well.

The wording I'm using here is possibly not accurate - there seem to be
a confusing mix of concepts and ideas going round, with no-one having
a good understanding of all of them. My apologies - if there's a good
glossary somewhere, which explains what to call things like

  * The executable I click on in Windows to install something
  * The .deb file that a Debian user downloads and installs
  * The set of files that end up in Python's site-packages
     - for a "normal" install (bdist_wininst, non-egg, whatever)
     - for an egg
     - that comprises the difference between the above two ( :-) )
  * etc, etc

then I'll be happy to restate my comments in those terms. (Assuming I
understand the glossary - I've not managed to assimilate any of the
previous attempts to establish clear terminology, unfortunately).

Paul.