Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
[...]
> I don't see how the maintainer could use the dependency information
> in the egg files.

The maintainers could use the dependency information in the egg files by
writing a tool to automatically map from the egg dep info to whatever
format their packaging system uses -- for example, .deb files.

> Debian policy is that the .deb files need to
> define proper dependencies, so the maintainer has to lookup
> and edit the dependency information *anyway*. Using the egg
> package name is of limited, help, either, because Debian policy
> mandates a certain naming scheme for packages, giving the
> FormEncode package a name of python2.4-formencode.

Why does any of that block distributors from using egg dependency info?

John