Re: Questions about the Debian Python Policy

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 08:40, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 24 octobre 2005 à 11:30 -0400, James A. Treacy a écrit :
> > Thanks for the replies to my questions.
> >
> > I hope that a way to ensure automatic recompiling of python modules is
> > implemented sometime in the future.
>
> If you want to automate the process on the packaging side, using
> dh_python will do all the work for you; you will only need a rebuild
> when the major python version changes. Support for rebuilding these
> modules automatically without rebuilding the package has been underway
> for quite some time, but still isn't usable.

Do you mean;

Rebuild = new source package upload + new generated binary packages +
distribute to mirrors + download for install on systems?

"rebuild these modules automatically without rebuilding the package" =
only recompile *.py's installed on systems?

"major python version changes" = python (2.3) upgrades to python (2.4)?

I still don't see how anything is in place to recompile py's reliably
when the default python upgrades.

For example; package python-foo has "Depends: python (>=2.1)", puts
private pure python modules in /usr/share/lib/python-foo, and compiles
them with #!/usr/bin/python. How will these *.py files be re-compiled
when python (2.3) is upgraded to python (2.4)?

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>