Re: Questions about the Debian Python Policy

James A. Treacy wrote:
Let's use gramps(*) as an example and that the default python switches
to 2.4. A user upgrades python (leaving 2.3 on the system), gramps and
python-glade2 to python 2.4 versions but does not ugrade python-gnome2
(this works since python 2.3 is still installed). All the dependencies
will be met but gramps will not work as it will not find all the
required (2.4 based) dependencies.

No, this cannot happen. python-gnome2 depends on

  python (>= 2.3), python (<< 2.4)

so when python becomes 2.4, it will be uninstallable on the system,
unless python-gnome2 is removed.

Only when all python-foo packages are available in a version that
depends on python (>=2.4), python (<<2.5), only then the system can
upgrade the Python installation.

The answers to your other questions, I don't know. I think it is ok
to install to site-python, and to use python to compile the byte-code
files, but I'm uncertain what will trigger recompilation of those
modules when python is upgraded to 2.5.

Regards,
Martin