Re: Python only packages and the new Python policy

El Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:14:00AM -0700, Donovan Baarda va escriure:
> >  My proposal for those cases is simple: why don't we remove
> >  /usr/lib/site-python/ from the python path and link the contents of that
> >  directory on /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-python/ on the postinstall of pure
> >  python packages that install their code on /usr/lib/site-python/?
> >
> >  With this system, when a new pythonX.Y package enters the archive it can
> >  build his own linked version of /usr/lib/site-python/, leaving the
> >  compiled
> >  files on /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-python/. The main advantage is that the
> >  package is available to all installed python versions and supports zero
> >  work
> >  transitions.
> [...]
> >  Of course all that should be elaborated and formalized a little bit to
> >  enter
> >  into the Policy document, but I would like to know what do others thing
> >  about it and know what other solutions or changes have been proposed for
> >  the
> >  next version of the policy, if any.
>
> This is exactly like the proposal already described but not yet
> supported in the current Python Policy. The only difference is it
> suggests using /usr/lib/python/site-packages instead of
> /usr/lib/site-python.

  Right, I should have re-read the policy before sending the e-mail.

> The only reason this is not yet supported is no-one has yet made it
> work. The closest thing is the work done on python-central...

  OK, then I'll take a look and see if I can write a script to support it, it
  seems quite simple but maybe I'm missing something...

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69