Re: [Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
The only thing that occurs to me as even a possibility would be some kind of frequently-used system administration utility, like if you were going to rewrite all the bash builtin commands as Python scripts.

This whole discussion is not about whether the start time actually
matters - it is about whether it is a fact or not that eggs improve
the startup. Some people said it does, others said it doesn't, and this
is just the finding-of-facts phase.

Anyway,

> I'm terribly curious what Python applications exist for whom:
> 1. Startup time is a consideration, that
> 2. Haven't already been refactored to a long-running process.

For this, CGI scripts come to mind. Many people use them, and they
are often short-running, and they often get invoked frequently.

Then why was the python##.zip entry added to sys.path in Python 2.3? My understanding was that it was added to allow Python to start faster by cutting down on extraneous stat() calls.

PEP 273 doesn't give much rationale:

"Booting"
"Just as there are default directories in sys.path, there must be
one or more default zip archives too."

IIRC, it was to simplify deployment, having the entire library in
a single file.

Regards,
Martin