Re: formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Bob Tanner writes:
> >I'm working around the "problem" by installing a formencode.pth pointing to
> >the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/FormEncode-0.4-py2.4.egg directory.
>
> This isn't a "problem", it's just that the Debian policy isn't
> up-to-date.  Python eggs install this way, and many packages (e.g.
> TurboGears) require the new structure.
>
> >I've played around with FormEncode's setup.py and the site-packages path
> >seems
> >to be based on the setup(name=xxx, version=yyy), but I could not see any
> way
> >to change these values without really messing up all the other tools that
> >depend on these values.
>
> Or all the tools that depend on the directory containing version
> information, and expect a certain layout within that directory
> structure.  Do not attempt to change .egg layouts, as any package that has
> bothered to make itself be laid out this way almost certainly has
> non-trivial dependencies on it being laid out this way.
>
> Note also that in many cases, the package will be a single .egg *file*,
> (analagous to a Java .jar file) rather than a directory, and files are
> preferable to directories in most cases as they make Python import
> processing faster.
> ====================== snip ============================
>
> Upstream python development is saying .egg is the future and preferred way
> to (re)distribute python modules.
>
> Worse(?) if Debian doesn't follow this structure, other python packages may
> break (their example TurboGears).
>
> Is Debian python policy dated or wrong?
>
> Debian moving a different direction then upstream python?

surely our policy needs to adopt the new schema. I don't think it's
dated or wrong. there are things which we do want to prevent:

- package more than one version of a module in the distribution,
  apparently that's something that the egg format encourages.

- an "copy all needed modules into an egg" approach. IMO this is
  wrong for a distribution. If you look at more complex packages,
  you'll already find that style very often. and all these packages
  have to be modified to use a "system" version.

I know that setuptools offers a possibility to install in the "old"
way (directly into site-packages), for a distribution like Debian that
looks like the preferred way.

  Matthias