Re: Python only packages and the new Python policy

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 02:49, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Florent Rougon writes:
> > Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > >   OK, then I'll take a look and see if I can write a script to support it, it
> > >   seems quite simple but maybe I'm missing something...
> >
> > Before you write another script, I think it would be useful to know why
> > python-central was not adopted. I have asked this question several times
> > here and never got an answer.
>
> look at the archives. python-central is a step forward, but it doesn't
> do anything to solve the forward conflicts for python applications and
> modules outside of sys.path.

Trying to remember here, but by forward conflicts you mean python
applications that use #!/usr/bin/python but don't work with python
>=2.4?

I thought forward conflicts can be simply solved by putting;

Depends: python (<<2.4)

As for modules outside of sys.path, there is a brute-force approach;
have the post-install of the package python run "dpkg-reconfigure -plow
<package>" for every package that has "Depends: python". This should
cause those package to re-compile their own *.py modules using the new
default version of python (ie, using /usr/bin/python).

python-central would still be useful for pure-python modules that
support multiple pythonX.Y versions.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>