Re: Upload of new Python extension packages

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 14:21, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 30 juin 2005 à 21:31 +0200, Torsten Marek a écrit :
> > right now I have a package for ElementTidy [1] in my private repository [2],
> > which I am going to upload to Debian one day (either as a DD or via a sponsor).
> > My question is, whether I should delay the upload till after Python 2.3 is
> > released or just happily go on and take into account the python2.3-elementtidy
> > package being removed in some months/weeks/years/releases?
> > There are not too many users, and a link to my repo is in the wnpp bug,
> > therefore people can use the package already.
>
> Please, don't use the python2.X-foo scheme for such a small package. You
> only need a single python-foo package, built against the default python
> version. It eases transitions a lot, and avoids unnecessary cluttering
> the archive.

And should pure-python modules go into /usr/lib/site-python, or
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages?

The first means the package will not need fixing when we transition to
2.4, but the second is what is documented in the python-policy.

There are still quite a few things that need fixing in the policy...

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>