Re: Question about python policy

Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> wrote:

> Hello all,

Hi,

> Firstly, it seems a little silly to duplicate all the code in both
> packages. I guess there's really no other way of doing it, since there

There used to be a tool called python-central (look in the mailing list
archives) that allowed packages to ship pure-python modules *once* under
/usr/lib/python/site-packages/ and have them automatically byte-compiled
for the various pythonX.Y installed (through Debian packages, of course,
your custom Python in /usr/local was not affected).

It was said that it would integrate the main python packages after the
initial proof of concept and testing period, but I never saw that
happen. I don't know why.

--
Florent