Re: installing stuff to sbin with distutils

Andreas Schuldei <andreas@schuldei.org> wrote:

> how do i install python progs to /usr/sbin with pythons
> distutils?
>
> i manage to install stuff to bin, using scripts=[...] but not
> sbin

I am not a distutils guru (but I use it for a set of extension modules I
wrote), but it may well be that you cannot do this without subclassing
some distutils stuff.

The problem with this approach is that since the full distutils API was
never documented (so you cannot tell once you start subclassing things
whether you are relying on the API or an internal feature that could
change across releases), distutils cannot easily evolve towards
something more flexible because almost every change could break some
existing setup.py.

I sincerely hope a future release will break the old API for something
more flexible and thoroughly document the new one (it would have to be
parallel-installable with the old distutils). Or a new tool such as
SCons. Unfortunately, I haven't found the time yet to play with the
latter.

In order to help you solve your problem, I would suggest to:
  - learn enough about Python to feel comfortable (considering what you
    wrote in <20040131191643.GA10729@lukas.schuldei.com>);
  - read the distutils documentation;
  - post on distutils-sig *at* python *dot* org if you still have
    questions. It is *the* mailing list for distutils-related problems.

> i am not on this list, please cc me!

Done.

--
Florent