Re: Distutils extensions for Debian

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 05:07:53PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just subscribed to this list.  I am reading about Distutils in
> "Distributing Python Modules."  In chapter 2.1 I see mention of Windows
> (bdist_wininst), RPM (bdist_rpm), Solaris (bdist_pkgtool) and HP-UX
> (bdist_sdux).
>
>         http://www.python.org/doc/current/dist/simple-example.html
>
> How hard would it be to (eventually) add upstream support for something
> like bdist_dpkg?
>
> I'm confident that assisting Python developers in creating basic Debian
> source packages would be beneficial.

There was some work done for it:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/nondist/sandbox/Lib/bdist_dpkg.py

I don't think bdist_dpkg will help much though. IMHO bdist_dpkg won't do
much better than "checkinstall python setup.py install".

Take a look at CDBS(Common Debian Build System) and python-distutils.mk
which comes with it. A number of packages already use it.

Bye,