Re: Python modules for every supported version

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:56:53 +1000
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:52, Terry Hancock wrote:
> [...]
> > Zope <=2.6 needs Python 2.1.3, while Zope 2.7 and X3.0.0
> > both use Python 2.3.4 as standard (i.e. the newest Python).
> >
> > Zope 2.6 *can* run with Python 2.2 (and I think it may be the
> > only version for which that's true), but it is not officially
> > supported.
>
> The Zope 2.6.4-1.1 package in testing and unstable depends on
> python2.2(>=2.2.3).

Well, yes, but it is against the explicit recommendation of upstream.
And the transition did break at least some debian zope packages.

> Currently unstable has a zope2.7 (2.7.0-4) package. Looks like the
> zope package maintainer is expecting a slow transition from 2.6 to
> 2.7, and is expecting 2.6 to hang around for quite a while. That means
> python2.2 will have to hang around too, unless the zope package
> maintainer feels comfortable about migrating 2.6 to python2.3.

There are two different maintainers at this point.  It has
always been anticipated that eventually multi-version support would be
done for zope, as it can be a major effort to change from one zope
version to another.  For many sites it would be very useful to have
multiple versions running until content can be ported forward.  For
example, I have three versions running internally.

It is almost certain that zope3 will require huge amounts of change --
but even 2.6 to 2.7 requires a good deal of administrative change, and
some substantive change.

Jim Penny