Re: Summary of python transition problems

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:25:29PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 06:50, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Colin Watson writes:
> > > While this would probably help users, it won't make the transition
> > > easier as far as testing is concerned, because python comes from the
> > > python2.3 source package and python2.3 is only at 2.2.106 in testing.
> > > Perhaps it could be left until after the testing transition is complete
> > > so that we have something more or less releaseable first?
> >
> > yes, exactly my plan: remove the dependency after the migration to
> > testing.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how packages transition to testing; is it "by
> binary package", or "by source package"?

By source package.

> If it is "by binary package", then with correct dependencies python2.3
> could transition into testing before python (2.3). If it is "by source
> package", then wouldn't a python2.3 with fixed dependencies be held back
> anyway because the python2.3 source also generates python (2.3) which
> can't transition until all the python-<foo> packages are OK?

Yes, I suppose that's true, although it would make it slightly harder to
see what's going on in the meantime. But if it's definitely not going to
cause release-critical bugs then I suppose it could be done.

Incidentally, I think that python2.3 should definitely depend on python,
even if unversioned. This is what python2.2 in testing does, and it
would avoid the "I installed python2.3 but my programs that use
/usr/bin/python still don't work!" FAQ.