Re: Summary of python transition problems

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:29:12PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> what about python2.3 having "Depends: python (>= 2.3)"
>
> This is IMHO a policy violation. python (2.3) should depend on python2.3,
> python2.3 should not depend on python.
>
> It's playing havoc with my mixed testing/unstable systems, as some
> unstable packages want python2.3 (>=2.3), which then wants to pull in
> every single python package from unstable because it forces the python
> (2.3) transition which I really don't want to do until it is ready. It
> doesn't have to be this way.

While this would probably help users, it won't make the transition
easier as far as testing is concerned, because python comes from the
python2.3 source package and python2.3 is only at 2.2.106 in testing.
Perhaps it could be left until after the testing transition is complete
so that we have something more or less releaseable first?