Re: version independent pythin packages: ?

Hi, Donovan Baarda wrote:

> It seems each individual package should be responsible for compiling
> it's own *.py's with an appropriate version of python, even in
> /usr/lib/python. We can't have the "python" package handle it directly.

Hmm. Correct. See below.

> Try the following set of dependencies;

OK, for one, docutils isn't supported for python <2.2, so all those long
lines get a bit shorter.

I think the 'dependency package' approach works best.

Package: python-docutils
Architecture: all
Depends: python2.3-docutils | python2.2-docutils
 The purpose of the Docutils project is to create a set of tools for
 processing plaintext documentation into useful formats, such as HTML,
 XML, and TeX.
 .
 The package includes the reStructuredText parser and the Python
 Docstring Processing System project.

Package: python2.3-docutils
Architecture: all
Depends: python2.3, python-docutils, python-roman
 This package is a dependency package. It represents the requirements of
 the python-docutils package when used with Python 2.3.

Package: python2.2-docutils
Architecture: all
Depends: python2.2, python-docutils, python2.2-xmlbase, python-roman, python-textwrap
 This package is a dependency package. It represents the requirements of
 the python-docutils package when used with Python 2.2.

If there's no objection, the next version will look like this.
(Due out shortly, as I need to package upstream's 0.3 as well as fix a
packaging bug.)

> Package: python-xmlbase
> Depends: python (<<2.3) | python2.2 | python2.1 | python2.0 | python1.6
> | python1.5
> Provides: python2.2-xmlbase, python2.1-xmlbase, python2.0-xmlbase,
> python1.6-xmlbase, python1.5-xmlbase

Duh? xmlbase doesn't seem to be supported for Python < 2.1.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de
I could not love thee, dear, so much, loved I not honor more.