Re: version independent pythin packages: ?

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:58:25PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> Anyone else agree?

I see no problem, aside from performance for those users not using the
default version, but since this is only a "load time" problem, it
shouldn't be more than a little annoyance. I suppose that really picky
users could add some local repository to their PYTHONPATH and copy there
the load-time-critical modules if really in a need, or even ask the
sysadmin to set a version-specific optimized repository.

We can't do better with current Python behaviour, and I think most pure
Python packages would benefit from this change to Policy.

Thinking on this problem a bit further (not feasible with current
implementation), wouldn't it be nice if the user could enable Python
(via environment or command line switch) to use some local repository
(~/.python/X.Y/) to store .py{c,o} files if (s)he hasn't write access to
the system files?