Re: python 2.2 -> python 2.3 transition

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 02:17, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > hmmm.. just curious... why?
> >
> > The short of it: he's joking.  Note the smiley.  Even though package
> > names that have version numbers tends to bloat the archive, but there
> > really isn't a more graceful way for allowing two versions of the
> > software to exist on a system at the same time.  Josip knows this, hence
> > the smiley.
>
> Yes. It's also a smiley with the tongue out, meaning I'm actually saddened
> by the end-result of the situation and resort to joking out of sheer
> desperation.

There is an alternative... only support one version of python... and be
stuck at python 2.1 until everything uses it, or lose things like zope
etc.

Personally I was going to post "nice job everyone... the Python Policy
looks like it is working". There are still a few niggly things, but if
Debian can go to Python 2.3 within days of it being released without
breaking anything else, I'd say thats pretty damn impressive.

I'd be curious to know how other distro's are/will handle the
transition.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>