Fun with python-apt

I've managed to get python-apt (and thus apt-listchanges) working again
on my testing system. What a PITA...

Anyway, I first just tried to recompile python-apt-0.5.4.3. Compile went
fine, but the first attempt to execute apt-listchanges failed with a
dynamic linking error. C++ API change.

First, I thought there was supposed to be a transition plan that would
guard against such things happening. Is some package (apt?) not
following it?

So, I finally managed to get it to compile with gcc 2.95, and it works.
But doing that was (at least for me, not being familiar with python)
quite difficult. So here's my question about python packages (and the
reason for cc'ing debian-python):

	Is there a better way to specify which compiler to use
	than to edit /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile ?

Anyway, if you want apt-listchanges back, all you have to do is change
/usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile (temporarily) to say gcc-2.95 instead
of gcc, then recompile python-apt.

PS: I am not subscribed to debian-python; please CC me on replies.