Re: python-debconf, Byte compilation and other questions

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:22:11 +0200
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis <luca@debian.org> wrote:

> > 2) I would like to use the debconf-module, but it seems there is no
> > python priority:required, so is this module worthless?
>
> Please, be careful using debconf: you'd better read the "best
> packaging practice"[1] manual before using it. Then, I think you won't
> need a python-debconf. Use Debconf from the maintainer scripts (which
> you'd better to write in sh).
Well I do need a few answers of the user on a fresh install. I guess I
could skip debconf if there is a configuration file present, but it
seemed nice to get the needed parameters from the config module so I
could get dpkg-reconfigure behave in a useful way. And what better way
to get info from a python config module than to just import it.
The second part of my question actually was: Where is the debconf.py
that is shipped in the debconf package used for if it's not possible to
use it in a config script?

> > 3) The program is pure python code, so I guess it can be arch:all if
> > I ship only .py files, but are .pyc files also arch-independent?
>
> .pyc files are architecture independent. Perheps you've to read the
> python packaging policy
> file:///usr/share/doc/python/python-policy.txt.gz (that is shipped
> with the "python" package).

Maybe it's a good idea to put this up the 'developers conner'
website along with all the other policy documents? At the moment it is
hard to find it if you don't know where to look.

Thank for the answers,

Tim