Re: Mentor needed for python-opengl2

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 05:23:17PM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Hi, my name is Thomas Wouters and I'm looking for a mentor. :)

> The PyOpenGL debian package, python-opengl, is heavily outdated, being
> version 1.5.7 whereas the upstream stable version is 2.0.0.44 by now. It
> also has some other issues, like being built against the wrong version of
> Tk. PyOpenGL 2.0 is a not-quite-compatible release though, being one of
> those 'rewrite' major changes. It does improve greatly on the Python OpenGL
> bindings, and fixes a bunch of bugs. Python-opengl's maintainer, Enrique
> Zanardi (see Cc), doesn't have the time or inclination anymore to maintain
> the package, as he explained in a seperate email to me, and offered I adopt
> the package or build new binary packages. In either case, I'm in need of a
> mentor.

> I've debianized PyOpenGL 2.0.0.44 based on how python-opengl 1.5.7 does it,
[...]

I subsequently re-did the debianization the Proper way, yielding separate
packages for each of the available Python versions. I also split off the
Togl part (Tkinter bindings for OpenGL) into seperate packages so
python-opengl2 doesn't depend on python-tk. Unfortunately, because
python2.1-tk is built against a different tk (8.3, rather than 8.4) I can't
build python2.1-togl from the same source package. Not too big a deal, I
think.

The licensing is still a bit vague. One of the licenses that covers it is
the SGI Free Software License B, which is only available in PostScript or MS
Word format. I converted it to text for the copyright file for reference,
and included the original postscript. I've also emailed about the legality
and DSFG-compliance of that conversion, the SGI license and the other
licenses to debian-legal, but haven't heard back yet.

Another problem I had was with lintian:
E: python2.3-togl: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/OpenGL/Tk/__init__.py
E: python2.2-togl: python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/OpenGL/Tk/__init__.py

Both packages only depend on python2.x, as they should be installable even
if the 'python' package is of a different version. Yet lintian does not
complain about the python2.x-opengl packages ? I'm confused. Lintian gives
no other errors, however.

The end result is this list (I should probably change the short descriptions
a bit :-)

python-opengl2      - Python binding to OpenGL
python-togl         - Python binding to OpenGL
python2.1-opengl2   - Python binding to OpenGL
python2.2-opengl2   - Python binding to OpenGL
python2.2-togl      - Python binding to OpenGL
python2.3-opengl2   - Python binding to OpenGL
python2.3-togl      - Python binding to OpenGL

The packages can be had from here:

deb http://www.xs4all.nl/~thomas/debian ./
deb-src http://www.xs4all.nl/~thomas/debian ./

Testing and bugreports would of course be appreciated, especially with
different GL libraries (Mesa, nVidia, utah ?) There are some demo scripts in
the doc/examples/ directories of both the opengl and the togl packages, but
they aren't very good quality. I also have a simple python script that uses
GL, GLU and GLUT from the python-opengl2 package, as well as python-numeric,
that might be more obvious to test with:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~thomas/torus.py

It has a solid torus orbited by three suns of different sizes and colours.
The largest, white sun is actually a spotlight aiming slightly off-center of
the torus. Depending on your GLUT library, the edges of the spotlight on the
torus will seem 'blocky'; this is 'correct'. The suns start rotating when
you press the left mousebutton (in the window.) Holding down the left button
and dragging the mouse rotates your point of view. Pressing escape exits. It
doesn't do much beyond that. It's an heavily-added-on example from the
OpenGL Programming Guide, please don't judge my Python programming abilities
from this script :)

I would still very much appreciate a mentor or sponsor (or advocate ;) for
these packages.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>