Re: python-central comments

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 09:14:58PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:43:12AM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> > In the end, I suspect it would be just as easy or easier to
> > re-structure mailman to put it's modules in
> > /usr/lib/python/site-packages.
>
> then normal python programs would be able to import the mailman module.
> wouldnt that be a bad thing?

Why? The only problem I can think of is namespace polution.

If this was an issue, then put it all in
"/usr/lib/python/site-packages/mailman/".

If you really want to hide the mailman modules, then they need to be hidden
in a directory with access rights limiting access to it. This all gets
rather tangled, and I'm not sure the effort justifies the result.

If people _really_ need python-central to support modules outside
/usr/lib/python/site-packages, then it can probably be done, but it will
require all sorts of extra effort on the part of the packagers to support
this. In particular the python source will need to be located in a seperate
directory, and different directories made available for each supported
python version. For example;

/usr/lib/mailman/python      # where the python source is installed
/usr/lib/mailman/python1.5   # where the source is compiled for python1.5.
/usr/lib/mailman/python2.1   # where the source is compiled for python2.1.
 :

Options would then need to be added to python-central to support alternative
IN and OUT locations for python sources used by this type of structure.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key