Re: Python in package development?

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> huh? potato was released with 1.5.2, woody with 2.1 as default,
> woody+1 probably with 2.4. So someone upgrading faces the features

Potato's Python version is not relevant for the discussion. Luca was
talking about tools to be written, so what is to be taken into account
is today's Python rate of backward-incompatible changes, which I don't
think is overwhelming to maintain debhelper-like scripts.

Moreover, I do think that two years is largely enough time to cope with
the backward-incompatible changes that happened between 1.5.2 and 2.1 in
a (non-existent) Python equivalent of debconf or debhelper.

> deprecated in 2.0 and removed in 2.1... Ore freeze python at 1.5.2 as
> other distributors do.

Oh no, that would be very frustrating.

--
Florent