Re: Packaging, supporting both 2.1 and 2.2

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Bastian Kleineidam <reflexionsniveau@web.de> wrote:

> Ok, thats a problem. There is no way out for this; you'd have to
> have two binaries.

Yes, I know I'll have to have two binaries.

> Provide library packages: python2.1-foo, python2.2-foo.
> Provide *one* binary package for the default python version:
> python-foo (or just foo).

This isn't an option.
I think I know my users. I do have users which need python2.1, and I do
have users which need python2.2. I do not want to force either to
"go install from source".

I can have

python2.1-foo, python2.2-foo, python2.1-foo-bin, python2.2-foo-bin
(with the obvious contents, and python2.x-foo-bin conflict with each
other)
and python-foo Depends: python2.1-foo-bin | python2.2-foo-bin
so a user installing python-foo will get python2.1-foo-bin by default
(because it is first in the or rule)