Re: Python and Emacs

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:46:59AM +0200, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
| On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:21:44PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
| > > Of course, we all know that using tabs in Python code is Evil. :-)
| >
| >   Sure. Now, you make me think that sharing code with Vimers is
| >   Evil too. I wouldn't need such a trick ;-)
|
| If the problem is that `Vimers' do not use spaces for indentation, suggests
| the them to add the following to their ~/.vimrc :
|
| --- cut ---
| augroup Python
|     au!
|     autocmd BufRead *.py set expandtab softtabstop=4 shiftwidth=4 tabstop=4
| augroup END
| --- /cut ---
|
| Tell them to type :help to understand what this configuration will do.
|
| I'm not a vim wizard, but this should work.

It will work, but I disagree with changing the 'tabstop' variable.

Try catting your code directly to a line printer.  It will use 8
spaces per tab, and that will mess up things.  Another problem is the
width of a line.  It is really horrible to try and read code that is
too wide to fit on your screen or that wraps around.  Following the
"lowest common denominator" ensures that your code is nicely readable
in any common environment.

-D

--

But As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
        Joshua 24:15