Re: Please remove python1.5 from unstable

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 06:35:02PM +0200, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> fre 2002-08-23 klockan 18.28 skrev Jim Penny:
> > What packages do you have in mind?  Some of the c-extension maintainers,
> > myself included, have an informal policy of "support everything in the
> > distribution", but do not have any obejection to supporting less!
>
> The package I'm maintaining and developing myself, pyOpenSSL.
>
> > Or, are you saying that you have non-debian applications that depend on
> > 1.5?
>
> In a way, yes, since RedHat are using pyOpenSSL, and I at least think it
> was with Python 1.5.
>
> In any case, putting on my upstream-developer-hat, I want to support
> Python 1.5, and it would be nice to still have Python 1.5 in Debian, so
> I can continue using that as my devel OS.

I too can't see any particular reson to remove it, except as a way of
forcing everyone to stop using it.

It shouldn't really need any supporting... upgrading the default python to
2.2 should not require any changes to the existing python1.5 packges. The
only reason they should ever need changing is serious bugs and policy
changes. One such change might be adding python-central support to the
postinst and postrm scripts.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key