Re: MailMan Security patch for Woody Broken?

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:08:31PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:

> Two things to check;
>
> 1) does the mailman script start with "#!/usr/bin/python" or "#!/usr/bin/env
> python"

It starts with #!/usr/bin/env python

> 2) does the user reporting the problem have a rogue copy of python 1.x
> installed from source somewhere?

Presumably.

> The current Debian Python policy does allow packaged scripts to begin with
> "#!/usr/bin/env python", but it is discoraged because it can cause
> problems like this when people have non-packaged pythons installed in
> /usr/local (or anywhere on the path).
>
> If mailman does use "#!/usr/bin/env python" I would argue that this is a
> low priority bug.

I agree.  The user can easily fix the problem by adjusting PATH to get the
correct python, or modifying the path in the scripts.  I don't think that
this is something that we need to fix in the security update.

--
 - mdz