Re: python2.2 for sarge?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:28:59PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Jul 25, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > My current plan is:
> >
> > - upload python2.3 packages soon (when 2.3alpha1 is released)
> >
> > - remove python1.5 from unstable
> >
> > - adopt python-central for 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, hopefully with the
> >   help of the author, hint, hint

I can help with this. I'm not a Debian developer tho'.

> > - upload python2.3 beta to unstable
> >
> > - make it the python default
> >
> > - remove python2.1 from unstable
> >
> > I don't see much sense in making the switch to 2.2 now and then again
> > to 2.3. But anyway, let's make unstable really unstable first by
> > switching to gcc-3.2 as the default compiler (coming soon :-)
>
> I don't think python2.1 should be dropped until sarge+1; keeping
> around the previous default Python in the next release is probably a
> good idea as general policy.

agree...

> I also wouldn't bother switching to 2.2 as the default if 2.3 is going
> to be the default by December.

If people are using the "simple wrapper" approach to supporting the default
Python, then switching to 2.2 would just consist of releasing empty wrapper
packages with changed dependancies... pretty easy NMU stuff.

If people are screaming for 2.2, then I'd say changing now and again to 2.3
in Dec would be minimal hassle. However, it depends on demand vs effort...

If people really need 2.2, then it doesn't need to be the default anyway...
just use the python2.2-<foo> packages...