Re: Problems with new policy

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 06:24:32PM +0000, Ricardo Javier Cardenes wrote:
| On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:37:58AM +1100, Donovan Baarda wrote:

| > In any case, it is the same basic problem for any multi-version packages;
| > you need to either make them co-exist properly so they can both be installed
| > at the same time, or make them conflict and force any packages that use it
| > to deal with the problems (ie, make two conflicting versions too, or just
| > force everyone to use one version or not use it at all).
|
| That's the point. There's no problem with PyQt. It's a Python module and
| both it and its extension shared object reside at
| /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages. My problem is about libsip. If libsip
| has to be at /usr/lib (as it's right now), then I have a real problem with
| versioned packages (if I want them to coexist, of course).

I think what you want is the following :
(libsip version numbers are fictitious and assumed to be incompatible)

package
    libsip1-python1.5
contains
    /usr/lib/libsip1-python1.5.so

        o  provides libsip at version 1 linked against python 1.5package

package
    libsip1-python2.1
contains
    /usr/lib/libsip1-python2.1.so

        o  provides libsip at version 1 linked against python 2.1

package
    libsip2-python1.5
contains
    /usr/lib/libsip2-python1.5.so

        o  provides libsip version 2 linked against python 1.5j

package
    libsip2-python2.1
contains
    /usr/lib/libsip2-python2.1.so

        o  provides libsip version 2 linked against python 2.1

The end result is that you can have programs that need any version of
libsip and any version of python happily coexisting on a system.

HTH,
-D

--

(E)scape (M)eta (A)lt (C)ontrol (S)hift