Re: (2nd try) Final draft of Python Policy (hopefully ;-)

Jérôme Marant writes:
> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> > >   But I don't want all my python packages to be uninstalled because
> > >   python changed. This is unacceptable.
> >
> > So you simply set the new python packages on hold, until all packages
> > you need are converted. What's wrong with this approach?
>
>   It is wrong because people will have to put their packages on hold: not
>   everyone is familiar with holding packages.

This will happen in unstable only for a period of one week. You won't
see this in testing. People running unstable should expect some
breakage for a limited time. We minimize the time of unstability be
letting maintainers know when the upgrade will happen. Why the heck do
we have unstable?

>   And if they use daily upgrades or dist-upgrades, they can be surprised
>   to see the packages they are using everyday being removed.
>
>   This won't happen if the package depends on a precise version of python:
>   the upload of the new python can happen without any problem and the module
>   maintainer will change dependencies on this new python, so modules packages
>   will be smoothly upgraded.

so please explain us how you would do the upgrade. On the current
packages we do have _unversioned_ dependencies.

> > So my propsal would be: make a python1.5-xml package (separate source
> > package), and one of:
> >
> > - a python-xml package (for 2.1)

pro: package maintainer only needs to support one version. con: you
only support one version.

> > - a python-xml (2.1), a python2.2-xml package
> > - a python-xml (2.1), a python2.1-xml, a python2.2-xml package

basically the same, I would prefer the latter if you think that
python2.1-xml will need to stay if we switch to 2.2.

>   What are the pro and the cons for each one? (except from 2.2 is
>   not out yet)?

>   Could we decide on this through the policy?

No. We could decide that you need at least to provide the package for
the default version ;-) Personally I would like to see basic modules
be provided for each python version available in Debian.

	Matthias