Re: Debian Python policy & Upgrade Path (draft/proposal) [0.3.3]

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 01:33:29AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> 3.1. Version Independant Programs
> ---------------------------------
>      Programs that can run with any version of Python must start with
>      `#!/usr/bin/env python'.  They must also specify a dependency on
>      `python-base'.

Using "#!/usr/bin/python" also seems entirely legitimate, and a few
/usr/bin scripts on my system do that.

They should also Depend: on python-<foo> for any modules they require,
presumably.

They may also want to Depends: python-base (>= X.Y) if they use some
features that were only introduced in python X.Y.

> 3.2. Version Dependant Programs
> -------------------------------
>      Programs which require a specific version of Python must start with
>      `#!/usr/bin/env python<X>.<Y>'.  They must also specify a dependency
>      on `python<X>.<Y>'.

Likewise /usr/bin/pythonX.Y doesn't seem unreasonable.

> 4. Programs Embedding Python
> ----------------------------
>      Programs which embed a Python interpreter must declare a
>      `Build-Depends' on `python<X>.<Y>-dev'.

Any particular reason why they should B-D on pythonX.Y-dev instead of
python-dev? If they break in the future, they'll just stop building
correctly and obviously need source changes anyway, no? Much like the
various problems we have when gcc stops supporting some random way of
coding that used to work.

I presume the Depends: for this are already covered in the module
packaging rules.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt