Re: Proposed modification to the Python Policy

Jérôme Marant writes:
>   I do propose that we install all architecture independant modules
>   in /usr/share and all architecture dependent modules in /usr/lib
>   as it has always been.

assume we have a package with an architecture independant module and
an architecture dependent module. Then we have to split it in share
and lib? ugly. And it's unsupported upstream by distutils.

If you want to install architecture independant _packages_ in share,
then distutils does support this with the
     --install-purelib=/usr/share/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages
option.

>   This won't break anything since the /usr/lib paths still exist,
>   allowing a smooth transition.
>
>   In order to achieve this goal, sys.path has to be changed like this:
>
>     /usr/local/share/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages
>     /usr/local/share/site-python
>     /usr/share/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages
>     /usr/local/lib/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages
>     /usr/local/lib/site-python
>     /usr/lib/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages

the change to sys.patch would be no problem.

I don't see this proposal as necessary for the transition from 1.5 to
2.1, so I would like to see it not as part of the policy during the
transition.