Re: Python upgrade path (draft/proposal)

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:06:37PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> 4) Packages not compatible with python2 need to be uploaded
>    to use the python1.5 packages/binary. NMU's should be allowed
>    to fix these ...

Possibly, you should reupload them renamed to be "python1.5-foo", as
well, so that packages that "Depend: python-foo, python-bar" don't end
up getting their dependencies satisfied when "foo" is only available
with python 1.5, and "bar" is only available with python 2.1.

This could generalise to:

	python-foo : works with current default python
	pythonX.Y-foo : works with pythonX.Y-base

With any multi-python packages (that auto-bytecompile or whatever),
they could be named python-foo, provide pythonX.Y-foo for some X.Y,
and possibly Conflict: python-foo (>> 2.2) or similar. That would seem
reasonably consistent and workable.

Anyway, I think those made sense to me, so I'll happily shut up now.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt