Re: Debian Python Policy [draft]

Jim Penny wrote:
> Why?  Could you better explain your reasoning here?
> On the face of it, it certainly seems that python-1.5 ought to be
> able to provide python-api-1.5.

It breaks dependencies.  We've been through this before but I'll explain
it again.  Here's a dependency graph:

            /--------------------------------------------\
    spam  --                                              >  python (2.1)
            \--->  python-eggs  --->  python-api-2.1  ---/

The spam program is portable between Python versions.  Now, if we
upgrade python to 2.2 and have a python-2.1 package that provides
python-api-2.1 we have the following broken dependency graph:

            /-------------------------------------------> python (2.2)
    spam  --
            \--->  python-eggs  --->  python-api-2.1 ---> python-2.1

We can try to fix this by putting the version in the module package
names as well (this is what Donovan and other people have been
suggesting).  First we have:

            /-------------------------------------> python ---\
    spam  --                                                   > python-2.1
            \---> python-eggs ---> python-eggs-2.1 -----------/

The python is a small package to create a link from /usr/bin/python2.2
to /usr/bin/python.  python-eggs is a dummy package for dependencies
(similar to what is done for GCC).  When we upgrade Python to 2.2 we
have:

    spam  --
            \---> python-eggs ---> python-eggs-2.1 -----------> python-2.1

The dependencies are still broken.  We could have:

    spam  --                                                  > python-2.1

That makes spam dependent on the version of Python installed.  Perhaps
I'm missing some detail of Donovan's plan.

   Neil