Re: Python upgrade: need help regarding package renaming

Gregor Hoffleit <gregor@hoffleit.de> writes:

> The Packages file at
> http://people.debian.org/~flight/python/snapshot/Packages.gz
> contains the first of several trials I made, but to no avail.

> I also tried to make idle-python1.5 "Replace: idle", and/or to "Provide:
> idle", but to no avail:

  The reason is that we are missing versioned Provides and this can be
  a good reason why it does not upgrade. Since it does not know the
  version of the provides, it won't do anything. So, APT will not make
  idle-python1.5 replace idle unless you explicitly install
  idle-python1.5.

  Some day, we will be able to do:

  Package: python1.5
  Replaces: python-base (<= 1.5.2-17)
  Conflicts: python-base (<= 1.5.2-17)
  Provides: python-base (= 1.5.2-18)

  So we won't need dummy packages anymore, and APT will be able
  to upgrade smoothly.

> I don't want to make another empty transitional package "idle" if it's
> not necessary. Certainly providing such an package would resolve that
> problem, but that's ugly.

  I think we don't have the choice here.

  I hope this helps.

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>