Re: Packages not making it into testing

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> > zope-pythonmethod is essentially superceded by Script (python),
> > which entered zope as a non-optional component in release 2.3.
> >
> > This is a good candidate for removal.  (There are some minor API
> > changes, but pythonmethods are now receiving no upstream support.)
>
> Can someone please comment on this?
If you ask me there are some Zope product packages in Woody (or just
removed there due to conflicts with Zope 2.4.2 and now residing in
sid) which should be removed because they are unmaintained upstream
(and unmaintained from the Debian maintainer obviousely :-(() and
do perhaps cause more trouble then profit.  If there are people who
need those products for their old Zope applications they could perhaps
set the old stuff on hold.  But they will be enforced to migrate by
upstream changes sooner or later and I see no real means in supporting
outdated unsupported software.  This could be a security risk.

I tried to give a summary in

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200112/msg00747.html

(perhaps have a look at the other postings of the thread).  I'm especially
curious about the packages of Mike Goldman which seems to be MIA because
he did not respond on any of my postings.  I just NMUed those packages
from him with very long standing, easy to fix bugs and when I was sure
about the current upstream development.  But I raised (yet unanswered
questions in the posting (sie URL above) especially regarding the packages:

   zope-pygresqlda
   zope-worldpilot
   zope-zcvsmixin

I would care about an NMU if we find a decision what to do with this
packages, but I will not do this without comments.

Please see also:

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200112/msg00899.html

to the current state of my efforts in bringing the Zope stuff up to date
just to avoid doubling efforts.

Kind regards

         Andreas.