package building / distutils question

madison and buildd.debian.org show that my quantlib-python package builds
only on a few architectures (i386, powerpc, s390, sparc) and fails on others
that could be expected to build (alpha, m68k, ...).

This is C++ code, and a lot of it. I would like to try less optimisation as
per the default, but cannot manage to turn "-g -O2" off.

In the upstream setup.py, the following is used (where "else" refers here to
"everything but Win32")

else:
    from distutils import sysconfig
    include_dirs = ["/usr/local/include"]
    library_dirs = None
    libraries = ["QuantLib"]
    extra_compile_args = None
    extra_link_args = None
    define_macros = None
    # changes the compiler from gcc to g++
    save_init_posix = sysconfig._init_posix
    def my_init_posix():
        print 'my_init_posix: changing gcc to g++'
        save_init_posix()
        g = sysconfig._config_vars
        g['LDSHARED'] = 'g++ -shared'
    sysconfig._init_posix = my_init_posix

Is there a way for me to plug other options in? I tried CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS,
but no luck.

Advice from the python gurus would be appreciated.

Cheers, Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers