Re: lintian and new python policy

On 29-Oct-2001 Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> Has anyone started modifying lintian? If I remember correctly,
> packages that generate lintian errors will be rejected...

anyone is me, the maint. (-:  Although any pythoners among you willing to get
dirty with perl are welcome to send patches.

> At the moment, lines like
> Depends: python1.5
> cause an error, E: python-script-but-no-python-dep
>
> Also, someone else reported that lintian complains against
> Depends: python (>= 2.1), python (<< 2.2)
>
> Should the policy be changed to recommend:
> Depends: python (>= 2.1)
> Conflicts: python (>= 2.2)
> instead two deps on python? Or is two deps on python not a problem
> with new dpkg, apt etc?

I have been waiting for the policy to finalize.  lintian handles official
policy only.

The two depends thing is something I have to revisit.  I was trying to keep
people from doing "Depends: libc, libc (>> 2.1)" or more simply "foo, foo".