Packaging python-egenix-mx*

Hi,

I have now finished Debianizing eGenix mx BASE (based on patch done by
Federico Di Gregorio, see bug#111156):

    http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html

The upstream maintainer of "the mx packages" (mxdatetime, mxstack,
mxtools, ...) now distributes everything in one source package, so I
have used egenix-mx-base as source package name.  It currently builds
the following binary packages compiled for Python 2.1:

    python-egenix-mxbeebase
    python-egenix-mxdatetime (new version of python-mxdatetime)
    python-egenix-mxproxy
    python-egenix-mxqueue
    python-egenix-mxstack (new version of python-mxstack)
    python-egenix-mxtexttools (new version of python-mxtexttools)
    python-egenix-mxtools (new version of python-mxtools)

and also

    python-egenix-mx-base-dev

which includes headers for the C API to the libraries.

Questions:

1. Does anyone need Python 1.5 versions of these packages?

   Packages I have found that are associated with some of the mx
   packages are:

       python-mysqldb (Suggests: python-mxdatetime)
       python-popy (Depends: python-mxdatetime)
       python-psycopg (Depends: python-mxdatetime)
       python-reportlab (Suggests: python-mxtexttools)

   but I currently assume that no one of those will need Python 1.5.
   Is my assumption incorrect?

2. Should I build Python 2.2 versions of these packages (i.e. will
   woody include Python 2.2(beta))?

3. As the policy mandates, I have made the packages depend on

       python (>= 2.1), python (<< 2.2)

   Lintian doesn't really like that.  :-)  For example:

       E: python-egenix-mxdatetime: package-has-a-duplicate-relation python
       N:
       N:   The package seems to declare a relation on another package more than
       N:   once. This is not only sloppy but can break some tools
       N:

   Okay, this wasn't a question, just a note.

4. Any other comments?

Oh, and if anyone wants to look at or test the packages, get them
here:

deb http://joel.rosdahl.net/debian/ ./
deb-src http://joel.rosdahl.net/debian/ ./

        Regards,