Re: Debian Python policy & Upgrade Path (draft/proposal) [0.3.3]

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:14:24AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Neil Schemenauer writes:
> > Matthias Klose wrote:
> > > - Recommend /usr/bin/env python over /usr/bin/python
> >
> > Again I must express my opposition to this idea.  Using /usr/bin/env
> > totally breaks dependencies.  There's no way that I'm going to let
> > Debian policy dictate what I can have in my path.
>
> Did you actually read 'til the end? For version dependent scripts you
> can still use /usr/bin/env pythonX.Y.

I'm trying desperately to catch up here on heaps of mail, so I might have
missed something. However, I believe I see Neil's point;

The problem is using /usr/bin/env python[X.Y] in scripts included in Debian
packages gives zero control over what Python environment they are executed
in. Any bozo could install python-beta.dogey as /usr/local/bin/python, not
install any python-foo's for the beta.dogey release, and a package's
carefully crafted depenancies on python-base and python-foo are bypassed.

This can be a good thing... end user gets ability to tweak Python
environment used for executing Debian Python scripts, or a bad thing... end
user gets ability to tweak Python environment used used for executing Debian
Python scripts :-)

Certainly for important scripts, you wouldn't want them breaking because
someone installed an experimental Python in /usr/local.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key