Re: Debian Python policy.

Quoting Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca>:

> Donovan Baarda wrote:
> > Packages like extension modules _are_ tied to a particular version and
> hence
> > should be in a python-X.Y-foo package that installs into
> /usr/lib/pythonX.Y.
> > There would also be an empty package python-foo that simply depends on
> the
> > latest python-X.Y-foo and python packages.
>
> I known this can be made to work.  I think it's ugly and not worth the
> effort however.  Perhaps we need to have a vote.

Before I stir you guys into voting, perhaps I should clarify my postition. I
don't (currently) mantain any python packages. I am an end user of python
packages.

I proposed the above because it is a way that Python packages could be smoothly
and gradually upgraded when Python upgrades. I am concerned that the policy you
are proposing will effectively break Python untill _all_ Python packages are
upgraded. Things like Zope that cannot be upgraded as rapidly as the rest of
Python will be broken until they are upgraded to use additional python-X.Y
packages produced especially to support them.

However, as I said, I am not a Python packager. Dispite the fact that I believe
the above will reduce your workload in the long term, you guys are are the ones
making the packages, and he who does it, gets to decide how it gets done :-)

--
ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more information.