Re: Debian Python Policy [draft]

Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca> writes:

> Please comment.

This all looks good.  I do have a question concerning dependencies on
Python modules.

By way of example, suppose I have a package "spam" that embeds Python
2.1, and therefore depends on python-2.1.  spam also uses the "eggs"
module, and therefore depends on python-eggs, which depends on
python-2.1 itself.

Now Python 2.2 is released, and eggs is recompiled for it.  The spam
maintainer is on holiday, so it doesn't get recompiled for a while.
If I then install "lumberjack", which depends on python-2.2 and on
eggs, apt will upgrade python and eggs to satisfy the dependencies,
and hopefully install "python-2.1" to keep spam happy.

Still with me?  All the dependencies are satisfied, but spam doesn't
work any more - the eggs module has disappeared out from under it.

The best solution I can see at the moment is for eggs to provide
something like "python-2.1-eggs", and for spam to depend on that.
Then when eggs is recompiled for Python 2.2, it provides
"python-2.2-eggs", and apt doesn't upgrade anything until spam is
recompiled for Python 2.2 as well.

	You think you know... what's to come... what you are.