Re: Intent for NMU of python-2.1 packages

Gregor Hoffleit <gregor@mediasupervision.de> writes:

> I'm still alive, I'm not lost ;-)

  You're not dead, which is the most important ;-)

> And that's the problem where I was stuck.
>
> The dependencies of the current experimental python1.5 packages aren't
> good enough to allow an easy upgrade from potato or earlier. AFAICS, I
> would have to include empty transitional packages for almost all
> python-* packages built from the python source. That's butt ugly IMHO.

  That is what happened for the Perl transition. I don't think you
  can avoid this.

  What you have to do:
  . provide transitional packages. These packages will guaranty that
    nothing will break during the transition.
  . ask people to change their dependencies. You will regularly list
    packages that have not been updated and warn their maintainers
    to do so.

> Furthermore, it's my current impression that we have to orphan all
> python-* packages in order to get a clean upgrade path!

  Huh?!

> There are many packages with broken dependencies in potato (i.e.
> packages that install stuff in /usr/lib/python1.5, but don't have a
> versioned dependency on Python 1.5). Therefore, any future python-base
> package either has to be compatible with stuff in /usr/lib/python1.5,
> or has to list all those broken packages as conflicts. Either is ugly.

  Do we have a list of them?

> Therefore I think we have to get rid of all the problem-ridden package
> names, i.e. at least python-base and python-tk, perhaps even python-dev.
> I don't see any other solution.

  Sorry, I did not understand this.

> Python package maintainers should then change their packages to build
> python1.5-* and python2.1-* packages (python2.0 if needed), and make
> them depend on python1.5-base etc. That would remove the need for
> versioned dependencies.

  Right.

> At a later point, we could implement a kind of registry like the emacsen
> have, so that third-party packages could build only one python-*
> package, that registers itself with all existing pythons.

  We have dealt with this a long time ago and we have always said that it
  was too late because we were approaching the freeze. But we are still
  not frozen (optional packages) and I think it's time to implement this,
  whenever is the freeze (it will be usefull whether it is integrated in
  woody or not).

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>
              <jerome@marant.org>